Celebrating our volunteers
The volunteer awards are presented at our AGM where we recognise outstanding individual, group and youth contributions and present lifetime achievement awards.
The volunteer awards recognise and celebrate all the hard work our volunteers across the county do throughout the year, every year, in all weathers, giving so generously of their time and skills.
Our volunteers are vitally important to us, without them we would cease to exist as an organisation. At our volunteer awards, we celebrate their achievements and recognise their dedicated work to support Somerset Wildlife Trust’s aims of creating a Wilder Future for all.
How do I nominate a volunteer?
We are currently not accepting nominations until Summer 2020 for our 2020 AGM. Please watch this space and check back for more details and the nomination form which you will be able to download and fill in to nominate someone who goes above and beyond.
The nominations should reflect how volunteer nominees have contributed to one or more of our current strategic aims.
Helping Nature recover across Somerset
Somerset Wildlife Trust manages nearly 70 nature reserves across the county covering 1,700 hectares of land. Our reserves provide a vital refuge for a wide range of wildlife in Somerset’s connected landscape We are working to increase the amount and quality of wild places and ensure they are connected allowing wildlife to thrive and travel across connected wildlife rich landscapes.
Inspiring and Connecting people with nature
We know we cannot reverse the decline in biodiversity we are experiencing in Somerset without the support of the people who live and work here. High quality experiences in nature can inspire, change attitudes, motivate action and ultimately be a critical part of the movement to help restore our wild places and wildlife.
Stand Up for Nature
Across the county wildlife and wild places are under increasing threat from a range of issues. We need to inspire people to explore the wonders of Somerset’s natural world for themselves and to take action – whether on one of our reserves or on their own doorstep.
Outstanding individual contribution award
Recognition of an outstanding individual contribution to supporting SWT’s aims. This can be from across any area of the Trust.
Outstanding group contribution award
Recognition of an outstanding group achievement in supporting SWT’s aims. Again this can be from any area of the Trust.
Lifetime achievement award
An exceptional award category to recognise length of service volunteering, commitment to the SWT’s cause, and positive representation of SWT over their length of service.
Young Wildlife Champion Award
Under 25 Award for a young person championing the cause of SWT.
In terms of the rules around nominations for the awards, it currently stands that:
- Anyone who volunteers for Somerset Wildlife Trust can be nominated
- Where applicable, volunteers can be nominated under more than one category
- Volunteers may be nominated as a couple or as a team under ‘Outstanding Group Contribution Award’ if what they have achieved has been a joint effort and where it would not be appropriate to single out any individual
- Any volunteer or member of staff can submit one or more nominations
- Volunteers may only receive an award for the same role once in any five-year period
- Trustees cannot nominate another Trustee
- Volunteers may receive additional awards for different volunteer roles within SWT
- Awardees will be chosen by a panel including: two Trustees, staff members representing conservation, volunteering and engagement.
Get in touch
Find out more about volunteering by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01823 652 400