Barn Owl, or Tyto alba
Barn owl facts
- Can hunt at day and night
- Heart-shaped face directs high-frequency sounds
- Flight is silent
- Diet mainly consists of small mammals
- Present across UK throughout year
- Pellets consist of regurgitated fur and bone, which they cannot digest
Barn owl statistics
- Length: 33-39cm
- Wingspan: 89cm
- Weight: 300g
- Average lifespan: 4 years
Why are barn owl numbers in decline?
Barn owls have suffered in the UK over the last fifty years due to agricultural intensification and loss of habitat. The provision of nest boxes in suitable locations, alongside the beneficial habitat management for barn owls and their prey, can help to halt the decline. Barn owls are protected in the UK as an Amber List species under the Birds of Conservation Concern review.
Barn owl © Brian Phipps