Somerset Wildlife Trust have a presumption in favour of open access for visitors. However, for the reasons outlined below, some of our nature reserves are permit only. This means that they have restricted access to people, for reasons including:
- the sensitivity and fragility of habitats and/or species on site.
- The nature of the site for visitors, including difficult access.
On these permit only sites, you can apply for a permit for scientific study and we would be very happy to talk to you about the types of study that could really help us with our land management. Scientific study can be as simple as a visit to look at a particular species that is of interest to you. Some examples include:
- Study of a particular butterfly species.
- Undertake a nationally recognised survey, for example breeding bird survey.
- Study of a particular plant species, perhaps in response to a change in management, for example controlling scrub.
Please contact us via email@example.com in the first instance or complete and return the permit request form if you have a specific request.